Nom du programme/ université/Program or University Name : Université de Syracuse à Strasbourg
Intitulé du poste/Job Title : Assistant Director for Academic Programs and Student Success
Nature du poste/Job Type : ci-dessous
Lieu du poste/Location : Strasbourg, France
Type de contrat : ci-dessous
job description :
Position availability :
Assistant Director for Academic Programs and Student Success
Syracuse University is seeking a dynamic Assistant Director for Academic Programs and Student Success for its prestigious and historic study abroad center in Strasbourg, France. This full-time, permanent position provides leadership support to ensure continued excellence and innovation in Syracuse Strasbourg’s programming in the areas of academic administration, program advising, faculty support, and student wellness. The Assistant Director reports to the Syracuse University in Strasbourg Director and serves as a thought partner on key strategic issues. Working as an integral member of a highly collaborative team, he/she/they has the opportunity to play an important role in contributing to and shaping the future of the academic, inter-cultural, and experiential offering for students studying in Strasbourg.
Academic Administration and Advising
The Assistant Director leads in the area of academic administration, program advising, and faculty support, with key responsibilities to:
· Oversee, establish, update, and implement academic policies and procedures in coordination with on-campus colleagues.
· Serve as an advisor to the Director in developing new curricular and experiential learning opportunities.
· Support faculty recruitment and training; assist with new course approval process as needed.
· Establish and coordinate the academic calendar and course schedule, in coordination with U.S.-campus colleagues and local , and the National Institute of Public Service).
· Support students enrolled at partner institutions, including academic advising and partner communications and relationship management.
· Depending on academic specialization, qualifications and center need, teach one to three courses annually.
Academic Services and Support
· Supervise the Student Activities Coordinator in the organization of activities, events, and study trips for students. With a lens towards inter-cultural learning and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA), evaluate programming and provide on-going suggestions for improvement.
· In collaboration with other staff, lead short study trips with groups ranging from 10-60 students.
· Ensure implementation of student learning supports and accommodations.
· Oversee the student arrival and orientation and departure processes.
· In collaboration with other staff, provide case management support on students’ wellness, physical and mental health, and safety during their time studying internationally.
· Serve as a member of the Emergency on-call team on a rotating basis.
· Under the guidance of the Director, participate in internal working groups, serve as a liaison with staff in other parts of the Syracuse University Abroad system, and represent Syracuse University Strasbourg in external engagements.
· Assume the role of Director ad interim in the absence of the Director.
· Other duties, as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
· Ability to foster academic excellence and innovation across disciplines and to draft and implement academic policies.
· Good understanding of U.S. academic university structures and academic procedures.
· Experience supporting students with academic and learning issues and overall student well-being.
· Demonstrated commitment to inter-cultural learning and the values of study abroad.
· Experience working with diverse college-aged American students, especially in study abroad programs.
· Commitment to working in a collaborative, dynamic, growth-oriented environment.
· Work authorization in France strongly preferred.
· Professional fluency (spoken and written) in French and English.
Master’s degree required. A doctoral degree preferred.
The Syracuse University Strasbourg Center
Established in 1978, the Syracuse Strasbourg Center is part of the global network of study abroad programs overseen and supported by Syracuse University in New York, U.S.A. Located in a turn of the 20th century villa, which looks out onto the river Ill, the Strasbourg Center hosts roughly 150 students per year (fall, spring, and summer terms); employs an engaged and energetic team of five permanent staff and 20 adjunct faculty members; offers 35+ Syracuse University-approved courses across 15 disciplines; and offers 15 field trips, a robust internship program, and a variety of additional immersive, experiential and intercultural learning opportunities.
A UNESCO World Heritage site, Strasbourg is a hub of international institutions and European cooperation, rich cultural and artistic traditions, and a diverse citizenry including more than 50,000 students from France and abroad. This makes it an ideal location for Syracuse Strasbourg to advance Syracuse University’s commitment to inter-cultural learning, global engagement, and public impact.
About Syracuse University Abroad
Syracuse University is nationally recognized for its premier, high quality, innovative education abroad programming, and is ranked #9 for Best Study Abroad Programs by U.S. News & World Report and #7 in the Institute of International Education (IIE) Open Doors rankings for student participation on mid-length (i.e., semester/quarter) study abroad programs (2019/20). We operate five study abroad centers around the world – currently located in the EU, the UK and South America, with several centers running for 50 years or longer. Our centers abroad are supported by 35 full-time staff in our Syracuse, New York office working in areas of budget/finance, academics, marketing, admissions, student services, institutional relations, and administration, as well as wider campus partners and resources. There are hundreds more faculty and staff at our centers abroad.a
Included in job description.
Required Documents :
Interested applicants should submit their CV and cover letter to the hiring committee by emailing Alison Bayart email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Alison Shipps Bayart