Nom du programme/ université/Program or University Name : CIEE PARIS
Intitulé du poste/Job Title : Homestay Coordinator
Nature du poste/Job Type : Full time administrative employee
Lieu du poste/Location : PARIS 6EME ARRONDISSEMENT
Type de contrat : Temporary (early November, 2022 - August 31, 2023)
job description :
Position availability :
Founded in 1947, CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) sees it as its primary missions to humanize international relations and foster peace through international education and exchange programs that promote intercultural understanding.
A nonprofit, non-governmental study abroad and intercultural exchange organization, CIEE sponsors a wide variety of opportunities for the exchange of ideas and experiences and helps people develop skills for living in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world.
The CIEE Paris center opened in 1973. Today, the center hosts a variety of programs, including Open Campus Block (OCB) and French and Critical Studies (FCS) every term. Our study center is currently located in the 6th arrondissement on the campus of the Alliance française.
Summary of Position
We are now looking for a homestay coordinator (HC). This person will be responsible for building and maintaining a network of dedicated host families for both college and high school students across Paris, addressing and resolving all housing issues in a timely manner, implementing and enforcing CIEE housing policies (‘Housing Policy’, ‘Homestay Policy’, and related documents), and ensuring that appropriate and quality-controlled housing placements are made according to the needs of students and expectations of CIEE.
The HC will match students with host families and collaborates with CIEE staff who manage programs with a host family component. The HC will be expected to ensure the success of homestays via regular check-ins. The HC will also aim at maintaining a positive neighborhood connection not only through a well-developed host family network but also cooperation and partnerships with local businesses, organizations, and community groups. The role is highly collaborative and involves a high level of organization, attention to detail, and conflict mediation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Develops a systematic plan for increasing the network of host families through, for example, attendance at parent meetings of CIEE’s partner schools, flyer campaigns, etc.
• Keeps meticulous records of host family data and profiles, and helps families ensure they acquire necessary documentation (such as a certified background check) on time
• Recruits, selects, and orients host families in accordance with CIEE Health, Safety & Security standards
• Provides at least once per semester training for the families
• Retains successful host families through regular communication, feedback conversations, and timely planning of future assignments
• Performs home visits before the student arrives and at least twice during the semester
• Monthly check-in with homestay families to assess progress and student well-being
• Works closely with Student Life Manager and Student Support Coordinators as well as various program coordinators to find successful homestay placements
• Coordinates host family payments or other remunerations with Finance Department
• Collaborates with Student Support Coordinators in preventing and/or managing conflicts during each homestay arrangement (i.e., check-ins with both students and host families on a regular basis and interventions or changes placements when necessary)
• Supports Student Life Office across different program lines (High School, Open Campus, Faculty-LedPrograms) in facilitating cultural integration and the delivery of experiential learning opportunities
• Coordinates and cooperates with other CIEE Paris departments for various community-related opportunities and needs
• Collaborates with the housing coordinators outside CIEE organization to maintain good relationships and benefit from each other’s support • Identifies various target audiences on-campus and in the Parisian community, and develops appropriate public relations strategies to keep them mutually informed and engaged, e.g., special events/offers, student/university internships at CIEE, current and potential partnerships, etc.
• Collaborates with Internship Manager in identifying opportunities for Service-Learning placements with the local community
• Participates in the 24/7 rotating emergency phone system
• High degree of emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent organizational skills, including record keeping and documentation
• Strong problem-solving skills, solution-oriented and ability to remain calm in crisis situations
• Ability and affinity for building community
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including intercultural communication skills and ability to work with diverse communities
• Fluency in both French and English
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Knowledge of Paris and close suburbs
• Enthusiasm, patience, creativity, flexibility, and a good sense of humor
• Capacity to build Strong ties in the local community
• Familiarity with the French housing regulations/policies
• Familiarity with American cultural norms
• Ability to work flexible and varied hours including evening and weekend work. Frequently required to visit students and host families’ homes, to follow up on issues or respond to emergency situations as necessary
• Experience in networking and/or sales
• If possible, experience with youth or counseling work preferably in a cross-cultural setting
• Solid computer abilities (Microsoft Office and Internet proficiency)
• Must be authorized to work in France
• Full-time position (35 hours per week)
• 1 week emergency phone rotation duty per 5-6 week cycle approximately.
Required Documents :
Please send a CV and cover letter in French or English to the e-mail address provided below.
If you meet the requirements above and check several of the preferences, or for further inquiries, please contact the Center Director for the CIEE Paris Center, Delphine Mauny (DMauny@ciee.org).