Nom du programme/ université/Program or University Name : American College of the Mediterranean
Intitulé du poste/Job Title : PROVOST
Nature du poste/Job Type : Administration
Lieu du poste/Location : Aix-en-Provence
Type de contrat : Permanent/CDI
job description :
Position availability :
Based at ACM's campus in Aix-en-Provence, France and reporting directly to the President, the Provost provides oversight of ACM’s degree and study abroad academic offerings including undergraduate and graduate programs in France and several large study abroad programs operated through the IAU (Institute for American Universities), ACM’s Study Abroad Institute founded in 1957 and with campuses and centers in Aix-en-Provence; Barcelona and Madrid, Spain; and Tangier, Morocco. The Provost position offers a challenging and rewarding opportunity to support ACM’s strategic vision and provided coordinated academic guidance for a unique and growing international college in the Mediterranean.
The Provost is the chief academic officer of ACM, providing primary administrative leadership, direction, and evaluation for all academic activities and faculty affairs. TheProvost conducts the duties of the President of ACM when they are unable or unavailable. The Provost oversees the following Schools, Centers, Programs,andOffices: The Schools of ArtandArt History, International Relations and Business Administration, and Humanities and Social Sciences, The Center for French and Francophone Studies, the Resident Fellows Program, Academic Assessment and Accreditation, the ACM Advisory Board, the IAU study abroad programs in France, Spain and Morocco, and the Office of Student Affairs.
The Provost will be responsible for fostering intellectual growth, student learning, and scholarly and creative activities by providing academic strategic planning, administrative leadership, direction, and evaluation for all academic activities and faculty affairs at the College, providing leadership in internationalizing the campus, advancing multidisciplinary scholarship, and providing leadership and guidance on diversity initiatives for faculty, staff, and students. They will demonstrate sound fiscal management and empirical-based decision-making by overseeing program development, budgets, and facilities of all academic and academic support units. They ensure an active and expanding dialogue with external constituencies by encouraging partnerships with external constituents and public organizations, engaging in effective College advancement (including alumni affairs, fundraising, and advocacy on behalf of the institution), and facilitating the Public Affairs mission and overall visibility of ACM. They implement the strategic academic vision by authorizing faculty appointments, recommending all promotions and tenure decisions to the President, making final decisions about the allocation of academic space, and the financial implications of program development and growth with the VP of Finance and Administration, working closely with the COO (Chief Operations Officer) on operational challenges, working with the Director of Student Affairs in addressing the educational support needs and extra-curricular priorities for students, working with the Dean of Admissions on enrollment strategies, and with the other Deans and Directors and senior leadership of the College in coordinating and overseeing the overall mission of ACM. They remain competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required. The Provost contributes to the overall success of ACM by performing all other duties as needed.
In addition, the successful candidate will possess:
- Academic credentials consistent with the rank of professor, as demonstrated by a distinguished record of teaching, scholarly publications, and/or creative accomplishments that exhibit a commitment to academic excellence.
- Ahistoryofprogressivelyresponsible, successful experience as an academic administrator at the Dean level (or above) involving graduate and undergraduate programs, including responsibility for budget, personnel recruitment, and evaluation.
- Experience in strategic planning, assessment of program effectiveness, and development of policy to enhance academic units within ACM and with national accrediting bodies.
- A demonstrated commitment to the promotion of diversity.
- Successful experience in advancement and fundraising.
- An appreciation of shared governance and evidence of strong abilities to work effectively and collaboratively with administration, faculty, students, staff, and other constituent groups and partners, both inside and outside the institution.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of emerging technologies and the effective application of instructional technologies to enhance student learning.
- An understanding of contemporary issues in higher education.
- A demonstrated commitment to the ongoing professional development of faculty and academic administrators.
Education: An earned doctorate is required.
Languages: Fluency in French with some working knowledge of Spanish, Arabic, and/or Italian.
While applications will be accepted for consideration until the position is filled, the current timeline calls for formal screening of applications to occur the second half of May through early June 2022. Therefore, full consideration is best assured when submitting applications by May 20, 2022. Semifinalists will be selected for formal interview, and it is hoped that a formal offer can be made by the end of June, with the successful candidate assuming full responsibility by August 1, 2022.
The Provost will be on a U.S.contract but with residency in France. They will be a seconded employee to France with a Talent/Expertise Visa. Salary is commensurate with experience. ACM offers a very competitive compensation package.
Required Documents :
Nominations, applications, and inquiries may be sent in complete confidence. To be considered, applications must include a cover letter addressing ACM’s stated priorities, CV, and the names/positions of five references (who will not be contacted without the candidate’s prior permission) and be submitted to Dr. Carl Jubran, ACM President and Chair of the Provost Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Carl Jubran, ACM President and Chair of the Provost Search Committee, at email@example.com.